Alpha Brain is currently one of the most popular nootropics on the market and for good reason. This potent supplement has been shown to improve cognitive functioning and is one of the most powerful nootropics on the market .
However every nootropic has its pros and cons, the same can be said about Alpha Brain. This nootropic was primarily meant to serve as a cognitive enhancer so it doesn’t give the same all-round benefits as many other nootropics on the market. Additionally, Alpha Brain is quite pricey and there are many other better Alpha Brain alternatives on the market.
If you’re a person who’s new to nootropics and is looking for a few additional alternatives to Alpha Brain then you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll give you a list of a few supplements that work similar to Alpha Brain.
We’ll tell you why they work and how you can choose a nootropic that suits your lifestyle perfectly.
Before we jump into our list, let’s look at why Alpha Brain works so well.
- What is Alpha Brain?
- What are the active ingredients in Alpha Brain?
- Alpha Brain Side Effects and Safety
- 7 Best Alpha Brain Alternatives | 7 Potent Nootropics
- Alpha Brain Alternatives | Verdict
- I live in the UK- Is Alpha Brain legal in the UK?
- What is the best Alpha Brain alternative in the UK? [Brainzyme® Focus Pro™]
What is Alpha Brain?
Alpha Brain is a natural nootropic supplement that was created by Onnit, a company that is well-known for its health supplements. Although they have made many different supplements over the years Alpha Brain is their most popular nootropic. This nootropic was created with a simple purpose in mind, to relax the mind and improve focus.
The name Alpha Brain tells you exactly what this supplement does. This supplement helps to induce alpha waves in your brain.
Your brain produces a variety of different waves that depend on brain activity. Alpha waves are a type of wave that is associated with relaxation and calmness. When your brain is in a relaxed state, it tends to produce these waves. Relaxing your brain increases your concentration and ability to focus which makes this a powerful supplement.
Now let’s take a look at the heart of this supplement which is the ingredients.
What are the active ingredients in Alpha Brain?
Unlike many other nootropics which have a set of ingredients that they use, Alpha Brain is made up of three different blends of ingredients. They are called Onnit Flow Blend, Onnit Fuel Blend, and the Onnit Focus Blend. All of these blends are made up of natural ingredients and work together seamlessly.
One of the main ingredients of this supplement is known as pterostilbene. This ingredient helps to give Alpha Brain some of its powerful properties. This is an antioxidant that is found in many healthy foods like blueberries that are associated with brain health.
The way that this ingredient works is it helps to slow some of the oxidative processes in the brain and the body which enables it to keep the body healthy. It also improves cognitive function.
Alpha Brain also contains substances like ome of them are L-theanine and L-tyrosine which promote relaxation and reduce stress.
L-theanine is found in green tea so if you’ve ever had a cup of green tea to relax your mind then you’ve probably experienced the effects of L-theanine. L-tyrosine is a natural chemical found in our bodies that has been shown to improve memory and increase the attention span of an individual.
There are many other natural plant extracts like Huperzia Serrata, Cats Claw, Bacopa Monnieri and so on that have been used as brain enhancing supplements for a long time. They are highly effective in improving cognition.
Alpha Brain Side Effects and Safety
Because of the fact that Alpha Brain is a natural nootropic, it is an extremely safe supplement. Unlike synthetic nootropics, natural nootropics use substances found in nature to enhance the brain.
Synthetic nootropics contain powerful drugs that cannot be taken daily. You also need to be very careful about taking them because they are highly effective in small quantities. They can make you jittery and induce anxiety if they are taken in large amounts.
Natural supplements are much safer than synthetic ones because they are less potent and the chance of experiencing side effects are quite low. The vast majority of individuals that use natural supplements will never experience side effects. This means that you can use these pills on a daily basis.
However, due to the way that nootropics work, some people might experience some harmful effects. The three most common side effects that users tend to experience are:
- Nausea or Stomach Ache: There is always a chance that one of the ingredients on the list might not get digested well by your body. If you tend to experience stomach aches a lot, be cautious before taking any new supplement. Alpha Brain provides a complete list of all their ingredients so it’s a good idea to go through all of them before choosing this supplement.
- Headache: If they are not taken properly or if you suffer from migraines, then taking this supplement might cause a headache. Nootropics temporarily change certain chemicals in the brain therefore they should be taken with caution. In case you experience these symptoms then stop taking the supplement immediately and consult a medical professional.
- Insomnia: Nootropics increase brain energy and reduce fatigue. This is great for people who need something more powerful in the morning but it can also backfire. Most nootropics work for around 6 to 8 hours. If you take it at the wrong time then it can disrupt your sleeping schedule and impact your health. To prevent this always take nootropics on a set schedule. A few pills in the morning works best.
The best way to prevent these side effects is to start out slow. Take one pill on the first day and see if you face any of these effects. If there are none you can take the recommended dosage of 2 to 4 pills.
So we’ve gone through what Alpha Brain is, and why it works. Next, let’s take a look at 7 Alpha Brain alternatives that might work better for you.
7 Best Alpha Brain Alternatives | 7 Potent Nootropics
For our list, we’ve chosen supplements that are powerful and work well for a wide variety of situations. We’ve included both synthetic and natural supplements in our list as this will give you a wider range of options to choose from.
All of these nootropics are high-quality and work well but they have different formulations. This changes the effects that they have. Many people make the mistake of going with whatever nootropic they stumble upon first. However, there are a ton of products currently available on the market and not all of them are good.
When you’re choosing a nootropic, pay attention to the way that the nootropic works as this will allow you to figure out which one will be best for your body and your lifestyle.
When you think of nootropics, Modafinil is likely the first one that comes to mind. This is one of the most powerful and popular nootropic drugs on the market today. When you need a strong nootropic that will help you to work effortlessly for hours on end, Modafinil is the one for you.
This drug helps to boost cognitive function, brain energy and reduces fatigue. The way that the drug works is that its able to increase the production of certain neurotransmitters that are present in the brain. It is also one of, if not the most powerful drug on our list. Taking one tablet will allow you to get around 10 to 12 hours of productivity. This period is much longer than many other natural nootropics.
Modafinil is used by countless people for one main reason, it works well. This drug has been around for quite some time so a lot of research has been done on it. There are quite a few studies that have been conducted on this drug that show that it is effective.
Although this drug is widely used and trusted, there are still some things that you need to keep in mind before you use it. This is a synthetic drug that is quite potent. Because of this, it is not advisable to use Modafinil daily. Additionally, you’ll also want to remember to take this drug on a strict schedule to avoid a sleepless night.
To sum it up, this is the most powerful nootropic alternative on our list.
Mind Lab Pro
Next, we’ll come to another popular nootropic, Mind Lab Pro. This nootropic is a powerful natural alternative to Alpha Brain. It was created by Opti-Nutra, who is a manufacturer that has come out with a ton of popular nootropics.
Mind Lab Pro consists of 11 natural ingredients that have a ton of nootropic effects. This supplement was created to be the world’s first universal nootropic. This means that it works for anyone, at any time.
It is a nootropic supplement that could be useful in a wide variety of situations. This powerful formula is great for heightening cognitive function, increasing productivity and boosting creativity. Mind Lab Pro lasts for around 6 to 8 hours which makes it perfect for daily use. Simply have the recommended dose of two pills in the morning and you’ll be good for the rest of the day.
All of the ingredients that are in Mind Lab Pro are multitasking. This means that they work on multiple different pathways in the brain at once. This is perhaps why this supplement is an extremely good all-round supplement.
The main ingredient of Mind Lab Pro is cognizin which is a patented version of citicoline, a common nootropic substance. This is where the potency of Mind Lab Pro comes from. Citicoline is common in natural nootropics and increases memory retention and alertness.
Brainzyme® Focus Pro
Brainzyme Focus Pro is an up-and-coming nootropic that has become extremely popular in recent years. It is meant as an alternative for Adderall and can also serve as an Alpha Brain alternative.
This supplement was created to improve focus and attention in an individual. It has 20 ingredients that were all derived from natural sources. This natural supplement helps people to enter into a flow state and boosts productivity.
Brainzyme has a ton of positive reviews online and it is because this supplement actually works. It contains natural extracts like guarana seed extract and ginkgo biloba extract. These help to improve blood flow and ward off brain fatigue.
It also includes an ingredient known as choline that improves acetylcholine production. This is a crucial neurotransmitter that improves cognition.
Apart from this, Brainzyme contains minerals and nutrients that make it highly effective.
Modafinil is the most popular nootropic drug on the market but Armodafinil comes at a close second. This is not surprising because of the fact that the composition of both of these drugs are quite similar.
They provide similar effects to each other however Armodafinil is a bit less potent than Modafinil. The period of effectiveness for this drug lasts around 9 hours which is less than Modafinil but still high. The effects last for a shorter period of time which means that you can use this to get through an entire workday and still be sleepy at night.
If you’re looking for a powerful drug that is a bit less powerful than Modafinil then this is your best option.
Gorilla Mind Rush
Gorilla Mind Rush is another natural nootropic that is highly effective. It is one of the best cognitive OTC natural nootropics on the market and a great alternative to Alpha Brain.
This nootropic works to increase concentration and energy in the brain. The effects last for around 8 hours which is perfect for anyone who needs to work at a tiresome job for hours on end.
One of the main ingredients of this product is DMAE or Dimethylethanolamine . This reduces anxiety and improves focus which means that your brain can work for longer and quicker.
These ingredients help Gorilla Mind Rush to be very effective. The mixture of energy-boosting and relaxing ingredients provide a good balance to any professional who is feeling a bit fatigued.
Phenibut is a drug that was created in Russia. Like Modafinil and Armodafinil, Phenibut is a synthetic nootropic that was created to act as an alternative to Adderall. It helps people to focus their mind and also reduces stress.
The way that this drug works is that it is similar to GABA, a neurotransmitter found in our brains. When Phenibut is taken, it increases the amount of GABA in the brain which helps to boost mental clarity. It can help to reduce the amount of brain fog.
But before you purchase this drug there are a few things that you should know. Due to the nature of Phenibut, this drug is very powerful and should be taken with caution.
The effects are also relatively short-term and don’t last for the entire day so this might not be a good drug for daily use. This drug can be quite potent and excessive amounts can have an adverse effect. It can increase levels of anxiety and worsen symptoms of anxiety.
Phenibut is a great nootropic for anxiety but it should be taken carefully.
Finally, we come to the last nootropic on our list that is known as Flmodafinil. This drug is relatively new on the scene so not much research has gone into its effects. However, what we do know is that Flmodafinil is a drug that is analogous or similar to Modafinil.
This means that the effects of the drug is pretty similar to Modafinil. However, it is slightly less potent than this drug and Armodafinil. Thus it doesn’t require a prescription. Flmodafinil is an extremely effective alternative that improves cognition and increases attention span.
Like most synthetic drugs, this drug is quite potent and should be taken with caution. However if you’re in need of a good Alpha Brain alternative that is powerful, but not quite as powerful as Modafinil, then try out Flmodafinil.
Alpha Brain Alternatives | Verdict
All-in-all every supplement is different and you should choose the one that works best for your lifestyle. The closest Alpha Brain alternative is definitely Mind Lab Pro (here is the review). This powerful nootropic has similar ingredients to Alpha Brain and is perfect for a daily nootropic.
Brainzyme Focus Pro is another great natural alternative that works on increasing cognitive focus while Gorilla Mind Rush helps to boost energy.
For synthetic drugs, all of them are quite potent and powerful. They also work in a similar manner. The strength of the drugs should be the deciding factor in this situation.
All of these nootropics are of a high quality so you don’t have to worry about any of them giving you lackluster effects.
I live in the UK- Is Alpha Brain legal in the UK?
Yes, Alpha Brain is legal and widely available in the UK. Before 2014, the formula of Alpha Brain contained a substance known as vinpocetine that was illegal in the UK. Currently, this product is not part of the ingredient list. Therefore you can buy Alpha Brain from online stores.
What is the best Alpha Brain alternative in the UK? [Brainzyme® Focus Pro™]
If you’re looking for another alternative that works better for you, then try out Brainzyme Focus Pro. This supplement is made in the UK and is one of the best natural supplements found in the UK. It has numerous positive testimonials online and has natural ingredients that work well.
- Solomon, T. M., Leech, J., deBros, G. B., Murphy, C. A., Budson, A. E., Vassey, E. A., & Solomon, P. R. (2016). A randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled, parallel group, efficacy study of alpha BRAIN® administered orally. Human psychopharmacology, 31(2), 135–143. https://doi.org/10.1002/hup.2520
- McCormack, D., & McFadden, D. (2013). A review of pterostilbene antioxidant activity and disease modification. Oxidative medicine and cellular longevity, 2013, 575482. https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/575482
- Bryan J. (2008). Psychological effects of dietary components of tea: caffeine and L-theanine. Nutrition reviews, 66(2), 82–90.
- Colzato, L. S., Jongkees, B. J., Sellaro, R., & Hommel, B. (2013). Working memory reloaded: tyrosine repletes updating in the N-back task. Frontiers in behavioral neuroscience, 7, 200. https://doi.org/10.3389/fnbeh.2013.00200
- Ballon, J. S., & Feifel, D. (2006). A systematic review of modafinil: Potential clinical uses and mechanisms of action. The Journal of clinical psychiatry, 67(4), 554–566. https://doi.org/10.4088/jcp.v67n0406
- Secades J. J. (2016). Citicoline: pharmacological and clinical review, 2016 update. Citicolina: revision farmacologica y clinica, actualizacion 2016. Revista de neurologia, 63(S03), S1–S73.
- Kennedy D. O. (2016). B Vitamins and the Brain: Mechanisms, Dose and Efficacy–A Review. Nutrients, 8(2), 68. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu8020068
- Kongkeaw, C., Dilokthornsakul, P., Thanarangsarit, P., Limpeanchob, N., & Norman Scholfield, C. (2014). Meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials on cognitive effects of Bacopa monnieri extract. Journal of ethnopharmacology, 151(1), 528–535. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2013.11.008
- Wong, K. H., Naidu, M., David, R. P., Bakar, R., & Sabaratnam, V. (2012). Neuroregenerative potential of lion’s mane mushroom, Hericium erinaceus (Bull.: Fr.) Pers. (higher Basidiomycetes), in the treatment of peripheral nerve injury (review). International journal of medicinal mushrooms, 14(5), 427–446. https://doi.org/10.1615/intjmedmushr.v14.i5.10
- Kennedy, D. O., Haskell, C. F., Wesnes, K. A., & Scholey, A. B. (2004). Improved cognitive performance in human volunteers following administration of guarana (Paullinia cupana) extract: comparison and interaction with Panax ginseng. Pharmacology, biochemistry, and behavior, 79(3), 401–411. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pbb.2004.07.014
- Ahlemeyer, B., & Krieglstein, J. (2003). Neuroprotective effects of Ginkgo biloba extract. Cellular and molecular life sciences : CMLS, 60(9), 1779–1792. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00018-003-3080-1
- Dimpfel, W., Wedekind, W., & Keplinger, I. (2003). Efficacy of dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE) containing vitamin-mineral drug combination on EEG patterns in the presence of different emotional states. European journal of medical research, 8(5), 183–191.
- Cao, J., Prisinzano, T. E., Okunola, O. M., Kopajtic, T., Shook, M., Katz, J. L., & Newman, A. H. (2011). SARs at the monoamine transporters for a novel series of modafinil analogues. ACS Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 2(1), 48-52.